|soup base, any chicken bouillon will do|
An easy version of Pho. Using the mixed spice for Pho package (picture).
Ingredients: All ingredients can be found at any Asian grocery store.
- 1 chicken (any kind but I love baking hen from Walmart)
- 1 package of mixed spice for Pho (star arnise and cinnamon are main ingredients)
- 1 package of Pho noodle
- 1 package of bean sprout
- 1 bunch of green onion
- 2 small onions
- 1 piece of ginger (about the size of a thumb)
- Pho soup base or chicken bouillon
- hoisin sauce & sriracha hot pepper sauce
- lemon/lime cut into wedges
- Thai basil
- Roast a small piece of ginger (thumb size) and a small onion, smashed with the side of a knife until burnt on surface a little.
- Put the ginger, onion & mixed spice in a spice ball, drop in a pot with the chicken cover with water, add a pinch of salt, cook until chicken tender
- Take the spice out, discard. Take the chicken out, let cool then shred into bite size chunks
- Add more water if needed, salt & chicken bullion to taste to the stock
- Boil some water, put pho noodle in for about 5-10 seconds, take out, drain
- Cut some green onion, slice some onion
- Place some bean sprout in the bottom of a bowl, some noodle, then shredded chicken, sliced onion & green onion on top, ladle with Pho stock. Squeeze some lemon in. Put some Thai basil on top. Add some hoisin sauce & sriracha hot sauce to taste, mixed.
- Mix hoisin sauce and sriracha hot sauce as dipping sauce for chicken. Enjoy!